Let’s take a quick look at who is wearing today’s contact lenses.
- Over 30 million Americans wear contact lenses
- Two-thirds of all contact lens wearers are female
- Ten percent are age 18 or under
- Fifteen percent are between the ages of 18-24
- 50 percent are 25 to 44 years old
- Most contact lens wearers are nearsighted
- Eighty percent wear daily wear contact lenses
- Over fifty percent wear 1 to 2-week disposable lenses
Contact lenses are used to correct similar conditions that eyeglasses correct:
- Myopia (nearsightedness);
- Hyperopia (farsightedness);
- Astigmatism (blurred vision due to the shape of the cornea);
- Presbyopia (inability to see close up).
Some of the latest lens materials offer a High Definition (HD) quality of optics.