Meet Dr. Hilary Hawthorne, Optometrist
Dr. Hilary L. Hawthorne graduated from Pacific University College of Optometry in Forest Grove, OR where she received her doctorate of optometry degree in 1992. During her studies, she also completed an externship program at Naval Medical Center’s Optometry Clinic in San Diego, CA. She earned her BA degree in Biology as an undergraduate at California State University, Fullerton
Since 2011, she has maintained her certification as a Diplomate of the American Board of Optometry. Other previous certifications include: Laser Therapy for the Anterior Segment and Minor Surgery for the Optometric Physician from Northeastern States University of Oklahoma College of Optometry; Lacrimal Dilation and Irrigation and Glaucoma certification from the California State Board of Optometry. Although she is a licensed optometrist in California, Oregon and Texas, she preserves her California license at the highest level in order to provide diagnostic, therapeutic, treatment and management of ocular disease to patients.
To reflect her extensive contributions to optometric healthcare, she was awarded a prestigious Young OD of the Year in 2000 by the California Optometric Association and a Keyperson of the Year Award in 2002. She was also a 2009 recipient of a PowerPAC Award from the Los Angeles African American Political Action Committee (LAAWPAC). Currently, she’s serving on various state and national committees to advocate for pro-optometry state legislation as well as to be part of membership development for the American Optometric Association.
Dr. Hawthorne has a craze for fitness so she maintains a healthy lifestyle. Over the years, she has devoted countless hours to aerobic training, running, cross training, and yoga because she’s convinced workouts balance the demands of her workplace and her travels extremely well. She also enjoys sharing career resources with her colleagues.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Diplomate, American Board of Optometry
- Distinguished Member, California Optometric Association
- Member, American Diabetes Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Optometric Society
- Member, American Public Health Association Vision Care Unit
- Past President, California Optometric Association
- Past Board of Trustees Member, American Optometric Association
- Young OD of the Year, California Optometric Association
- Who’s Who Among Students in Colleges and Universities
- PowerPac Award, Los Angeles African American Women Political Action Committee (LAAWPAC)